Before the storm
- Create an emergency kit with water, food, first-aid supplies and more.
- Create/update an emergency plan with current emergency contact information.
- Stay informed by following Colorado Springs Utilities (CSU) on Facebook and Twitter.
- If you do experience an outage, report and track it on their outage map.
- You can also call Colorado Springs Utilities (719) 448-4800 to report an outage.
Act now to save later
- Set your thermostat no higher than 68 degrees. Turn it down a few more degrees when sleeping or away from your home for more than eight hours.
- Check your furnace filter, replace if dirty. A clean filter allows your furnace to run more efficiently.
- Cover drafty windows with plastic film or use insulated drapes or shades.
- Refrain from using large appliances like washers and dishwashers unless necessary on extra cold days. When needed, only wash full loads and use the cold setting on your clothes washer.
- Open blinds on all south-facing windows to let the sun naturally heat your home.
- Turn off lights and electronics when not in use.
- Leave your faucet dripping and open cabinet doors around plumbing to allow warm air in and protect pipes from freezing.